Tuesday, October 6, 2009

TAKE COURAGE!

I am studying the apostle Paul right now in an older Bible study. As you might guess, I admire the tenacity and passion that Paul exhibited as a follower of Jesus.

He was born into religion but died for his relationship with Jesus.

He was beaten, harassed, persecuted, and homeless all for the sake of sharing Christ. Something drove him....something that I don't think I have.

He loved Jesus and others before himself, his comfort, his reputation, and even his life.

That is the difference.

I don't.

I have asked that God would deepen my love for Him so that everything else pales in comparison to pleasing Him.

(Is that what this wilderness experience is all about?? Putting things into perspective...what all do I love more than him??)

The Bible says that the Lord stood near Paul and told him to "Take courage".

Do you find it interesting that Paul didn't just feel courageous?

He had to take what the Lord was offering...

Paul couldn't muster up courage or strength or bravery any more than I can in my own yucky circumstances.

Instead, he had to take it. Just as I do....

Lord Jesus, you spoke these words to Paul in the book of Acts but I am receiving them for myself. I take your courage. I am shaking in my boots when left to myself. I need the full measure of your courage, your strength, and your bravery to face my giants and endure the harshness of this wilderness. Help me not to just be obedient in my heart but to also tell my face. I walk around and pout and look downcast so often because of how I feel. I believe that is silly....sometimes I don't think I can help it. But, you gave me self-control and joy and long-suffering and many other fruits that should be evident in good or bad times. I am embarrassed to say that more than not I WEAR my fears on my face. Forgive me Lord. I know you want me to be real....and the pain and fear are all very real....but you also want me to take you up on what you offer. I take courage!!

Please encourage me again about my girl....fan the flames of my faith...A

No comments: