Monday, October 26, 2009

We want to act like...

the Bible is just for us...Christians that is.

We don't say that, of course, because saying really does sound absurd. But we do think it.

How would you feel if you saw a murderer, robber, molester, or any other unsavory character holding that blessed book?

Would some protective instinct in you rise up?

Would you want to yank it from their hands?

A part of me would. A part of me would not want anyone nasty, perverted, or evil touching the Word of God. They seem too unworthy.

So, what am I saying? That because I clean up nice, smell good, and act like I don't sin in my heart every day that I meet the "worthy" qualification to hold that book.

Now that is absurd.
God said if you hate someone in your heart...then you are a murderer.

Well, He showed me that this weekend.

I got wrapped up in the story of the missing Florida girl who was snatched away by someone while walking home from school. Whoever this was, did horrible unspeakable things to this baby girl and then dumped her in a land fill. I am sure that this story resonated with me and so many others because we have baby girls.

Anyway, I hate whoever did this. In my heart...the deep places....I hate them. Why would God hold back his wrath? How could someone do such a thing?

Then, God illuminated my thoughts and showed me something in His Word.

1 Timothy 1: 8-10
We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.
We also know that law is made not for the righteous
but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful,
the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers
or mothers, for murderers, for adulterers and perverts,
for slave traders and liars and perjurers-and for whatever
else is contrary to the sound doctrine"

Well, is someone you hate mentioned on that list?

This person who did this heinous crime is on this list.

He is described perfectly....murderer....pervert....

But God says His law is for this person.

Did you know that I made that list too? Where it says "righteous"...that would be me...but not in the good way.

Self-righteous would be more appropriate.

As I finish these thoughts I pause at just how prideful I can be. There is a verse in Micah that God has had rolling around in my head. I think He is preaching a 3 point sermon to me.

Micah 6:8

He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

1. Act justly
2. Love mercy
3. Walk humbly

Those seem so simple....but I guarantee you I will screw that up even today. But, I will try. I don't want to hate anyone really. I just need to hate WHO is behind all of the sin. He is evil and shrewd.

But for the grace of God go I.....

No comments: