Friday, April 16, 2010

Even when it hurts...

Part of the human experience is pain...

Yet somehow when we are hit head on with it....we seemed surprised...and even angry.

These days I personally deal with pain every day. I am sure many of you do too.

Physical pain.....my rheumatoid arthritis is out of control making even simple movements (gripping my steering wheel, screwing on a sippy cup top, or buttoning my pants) seem impossible to do.

Emotional pain....watching others around me struggle with loss (financial, loved ones, sickness), holding hope alive for my Caroline when each day seems more hopeless than the day before.

Spiritual pain...dealing with my sin, falling into pits of insecurity, not praying when I should, questioning God as His child and not getting answers.

Cultural pain....earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, drug use, child abuse....

Pain, as terrible as it is, has proven in my life to be God's most useful tool.

It makes me yearn for Him.
It makes me depend on Him.
It makes me search the Word for His promises.
It bends my knee a little easier.
It tenders my heart toward others.
It sees other's pain too.

I ran across a cool scripture that resonated with me today...

Psalm 15
Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
Who may live on your holy hill?

He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart
and has no slander on his tongue,
who does his neighbor no wrong
and casts no slur on his fellowman,
who despises a vile man
but honors those who fear the Lord,
who keeps his oath
even when it hurts,
who lends his money without usury
and does not accept a bribe against the innocent.

He who does these things will never be shaken.

Pain is gonna come. Pain may even stay for a while.

However, we have taken an oath to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength.

We can still have pain (indescribable) and yet not be shaken.

No comments: