Monday, April 12, 2010

Standouts from Spring Break

We loaded up the kids and went to South Georgia for a few days over Spring Break. It was such fun and a ton of work. Any of you with kids know that.....but I wanted to post a few standout memories for me to remember and you to enjoy.

1. Tender moment with my man....
Shep and I have been married for almost 12 years. We are crazy about each other and gushy to a fault. I have gotten to be beside him through many things. I can personally testify to many wonderful highs and I have held his hand through some mighty hard lows. These last two years have been especially hard. I have watched Shep stand strong for our family while his business and the economy has slumped to hit us harder than we could have ever imagined. It seems like each month that passes leaves us scratching our heads harder than the month before wondering how we are gonna make it. Through in all.....and I mean ALL....Shep hasn't moved. If anything, He honors God more. He prays more. He speaks through his faith more. I stand amazed. I learn so much from him. The harder life gets (and each day throws more at him than I can stand to watch sometimes) the more Jesus I see get squeezed out. What a man!
Anyway, we shared a moment that I will never forget this past Thursday evening. He is my best friend. He trusted me with something that he would not dare trust with any other. I was honored and so moved by the strength and sweetness that I witnessed. Only he and God will ever know what it meant to me. If the rest of the trip has been a total waste....that MOMENT with Shep would have been worth it all.

2. 4 Wheeling with the kids
We would usually wait until Zeke went down for a nap and then we would pile onto that 4 wheeler and go. It was Ava up front, then Shep, Caroline sandwiched in and then me. We rode for hours and saw many sights....turkeys, raccoons, snakes, crop dusters planes in the sky, huge tractors, and Indians relics. Both of the girls loved it! The sun was bright and the sky blue....adventure was around each turn....

3. Zeke finding mud
Our weather was beautiful every day....the high was mid 70's and sunny. It did rain (hard, even hailed) on Thursday for about 3 hours. With only dirt roads to ride on...you can imagine the mud puddles that were formed. Zeke was too cute finding them. He just tromped through enjoyed the splashing sound and he would shoot his little eyes over to me to see if I would stop his fun. Of course I didn't....so then he went from splashing to jumping....to yes, slipping and falling in the fresh mud. He didn't enjoy his outside bath from a water hose!

4. Caroline's time out
Our first night was tumultuous to say the least. Once we got everyone settled in their beds, there was much crying and whining. This lasted for quite some time. For Caroline....it went on til about 1 am. After many warnings and feeble attempts to quiet her (this was a tiny cabin and everyone else could hear her) Shep had indeed HAD ENOUGH. He lifted her out of bed and took her out to the car and put her in her car seat for time out. I came out and stood beside him and looked up at the stars. We laughed to ourselves (as only parents can do) about how stubborn this little girl can be. Finally she relented and let us know that she was ready to try to go in and sleep. I will say that Shep's ingenious trick of time-out in the car set the standard for the rest of the trip. If Caroline tried to start pitching a fit...all you had to do was just mention the car time-out and she stopped. Kudos to you Shepard!!

5. Deana singing in the car
Some of our dearest and best friends in the world went with us. Derrick and D (my name for her) and their children took to South Georgia like pigs to slop. They were up for anything. We had fun tromping through the woods going to the waterfall and then searching the King field for arrowheads and Indian relics. My sweetest memory though would have to be listening to D sing her version of "You are my Sunshine" and then "He's got the whole world in His hands". Derrick and D were great sports as they rode in the back of Shep's durango holding kids with muddy feet and dividing snacks as Shep drove over bumps that would sometime make their heads hit the ceiling. D would tell you that she doesn't sing very well....I will tell you that it was sweet music to my ears. She is always willing to make the best out of any situation. She sang to our kids and then they joined in making it even sweeter.

Our trip was full of simple fun....laying outside on blankets, throwing the football, finding the tall oaks, watching a hail storm, listening to old and new family tales, eating delicious food, listening for turkeys, watching for deer, and just being together was like medicine for my soul.

Father God you alone give blessings. I received more than my share this past week. I love you and I am filled with gratitude over memories made and moments shared. Thank you for being there in the midst of it with us. I love you.

2 comments:

marjorieellen said...

All I can say is "Thank you, Lord, for showering them with your presence......Bless them, bless them."
amen

Anne said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip filled with many blessings. I feel as if I was along for the ride. Love you guys.