Monday, April 5, 2010

pgs. 120-121

We had a beyond gorgeous Easter weekend.

I don't know when we have had more perfect weather.

It wasn't hard to look around at the beauty to remember Who it is that makes it all possible.

I can't wait to post some Easter pics...but that will be on a later post.

Today I want to just talk about 2 pages out of "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan.

"I think a lot of us need to forget about God's will for my life. God cares more about our response to His Spirit's leading today, in this moment, than about what we intend to do next year. In fact, the decisions we make next year will be profoundly affected by the degree to which we submit to the Spirit right now, in today's decisions.
It is easy to use the phrase 'God's will for my life' as an excuse for inaction or even disobedience. It's much less demanding to think about God's will for your future than it is to ask Him what He wants you to do in the next ten minutes. It's safer to commit to following Him someday instead of this day."(pg. 120)

"We forget that we were never promised a twenty-year plan of action; instead, God promises mulitple times in Scripture never to leave or forsake us." (pg. 120)

"...I think dwelling on God's plan for the future often excuses us from the faithful and sacrificial living now. It tends to create a safe zone of sorts, where we can sit around and have spiritual conversations about what God might have planned for our lives. aThinking, questioning, and talking can take the place of letting the Spirit affect our immediate actions in radical ways. God wants to see His children stake everything on His power and presence in their lives. Nowhere in Scripture do I see a 'balanced life with a little bit of God added in' as an ideal to emulate." (pg. 121)

Read and let soak that soak in for a while....

Dang it hurt my feelings....

3 comments:

Mande said...

When shep brought that all up in ss last weekend, I thought "how true and awesome is that!". It gave me a little freedom to be able to focus on right now and not be so caught up in the "somedays" which I feel so far away from reaching most of the time. Thanks for quoting directly from the book! I loved it!!

Craig said...

"...I think dwelling on God's plan for the future often excuses us from the faithful and sacrificial living now...."

Ouch!!
C

marjorieellen said...

Our future is this very minute!!
That is how we are Spirit led, minute by minute.
As an after thought, everything is relevant.......depends on how old you are. haha