Monday, March 14, 2011

It's good being a girl...

This past weekend was not for the faint of heart.

It seems like we had something to do every hour and we even lost one to boot. (Thank you daylight savings:)

This weekend offered ample opportunities for emotional highs and lows....I attended a special birthday party...a late night prayer session....a dear friend's grandmother's funeral.... and a surprise reception honoring my mom.

This is why it's good being a girl.

I tease my sweetie endlessly about the ease in which women multi-task. I actually feel that I am at optimum work output when I can do and accomplish several jobs at one time.

Well, this weekend I was on emotional multi-tasking overdrive.....I went from laughing to crying and back again several times!

Friday night was the birthday celebration of a little boy just 2 days older than my Ava. His family is as dear and near to me as my own flesh and blood. I don't believe I have missed a single birthday event in his life. His mom and I were pregnant together and I have great memories of late-night games of spades, serious cravings and weight gain, and wonderful walks in the sod farm that was close to our homes. He and Ava have reached every milestone together....first smiles, first tooth, first crawl, first stand, first steps, and now they are close to rounding out their first years in kindergarten.

After leaving his party, I headed over to spend some time with a sweet sister in the Lord who lets me think I mentor her. Our crazy schedules have not allowed for much time to meet, talk and pray. I absolutely eat up our time together. Her passion for Jesus is so stinking contagious and I wonder what in the world I ever bring to the table in her life. Anyway, after giving each other updates on life we hit our knees and began interceding for one another and specific needs that we felt lead to pray for. Oh how our sweet Savior came and met us right there on the living room floor....it was awesome and emotionally draining...in a good kind of way.:)

Saturday was absolutely gorgeous here in Georgia. We got to enjoy a teasing taste of early Spring time weather. D (my other dear friend) and I grabbed a quick lunch and then headed over to the funeral home. Our sweet friend's grandmother had passed away and we wanted to just be some faces in the crowd to make her smile.

We sat on the back row (like all good friends should) and took in the view. As the funeral began we kind of absorbed the somber mood ourselves. I hated that because it was such a pretty day and I didn't really know this woman but I couldn't just sit there and be super happy when others around me wore the appropriate funeral face.

The Lord must have answered the prayers of my heart because this funeral soon shifted to one of the most entertaining and funny funerals I have ever attended. After the minister spoke a few words, he opened up a time for family and friends to share stories of their lost loved one. Like I said I didn't know her but from all I heard I think I would have really liked her. Not to mention I see some of her antics and personality in my dear friend who was her granddaughter. Can we say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?!?

The stories were hilarious. I mean really hilarious.....

It felt kind of surreal and unnatural.

Laughing til we cried at this woman who seemed to live life with gusto! She certainly left her mark on this world those who loved and knew her. As D and I left we talked about how we want others to remember us and how Ms. Mary would have been happy with her farewell from this earth. Her family remembered her in fitting style and I don't think she would have had it any other way!

As the weekend came to an end Shep and I attended an afternoon surprise reception for my mom.

Her first Bible study is going to be published! We are so proud of her and her obedience to God's call on her life. It was a wonderful time for close friends and family to encourage her and applaud all of her efforts. She is currently in the process of writing her second bible study and I can't wait to sit at her feet and have her teach it to me.

I am so completely humbled and blessed to have a mother who seeks God so diligently and passionately. She has never felt worthy of the calling of a writer but has stayed consistent to doing what God has asked of her. I have watched as every insecurity she deals with has surfaced to stand in her way. In spite of them all she has persevered and overcome in Jesus name. She is truly a remarkable woman.....and she is also my biggest fan! How is that for cool?!?

So as Monday settles me into the routine of another week I am happy to get back into the groove of steady emotions instead of heightened ones. However, I wouldn't give anything for the pride, love, respect, sorrow, joy, vulnerability, anticipation, and raw realness of all I experienced this weekend.

It was good being a girl!

I can only say that because Shep would have hated the roller coaster ride but I threw my hands up and enjoyed every thrilling rise and fall!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a blessing. You know your momma really well and love me anyway! Thanks for expressing your love and honor for me on your blog. May those who read it see the heart of my daughter...whom I am well pleased with and absolutely crazy about!

Your momma, always!

marjorieellen said...

Loved reading Monday's blog, but glad that it was you and not me, having to be so many places and doing so many things. I am happy for your Mother, and she is a great bible teacher, so her second bible study would be one that I hope I can attend. God bless you and your family.