Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My first batch...




In our family Shep has always been the premier "biscuit maker".

He makes them from scratch with flour (Martha White), buttermilk, and he cuts in the shortening....which he says is the most important part.

I have always been happy to let him make them. After all, I get to enjoy eating them.

The truth is I was always too scared to try.

How silly is that?!?

I was seriously intimidated over making biscuits.....from scratch.
(I still have this stronghold of fear with fried chicken and making chicken-n-dumplings from scratch)

Anyway, I asked Shep to show me what to do.

He walked me through each step.

So, my skills were put to the test when I decided to make them for guests this past week. I had settled on roast, potatoes, corn, and peas and biscuits just sounded so good. The only problem was that Shep would not be there to walk me through the process. I was on my own.

Well, all I can say is "they were mighty good."

I was so proud of my accomplishment that I had to take a picture. My very first batch of biscuits...homemade...and just shy of almost 13 years of marriage.

Maybe I'll attempt home-made bone-in fried chicken in another 13 years.....

1 comment:

Craig said...

They look good!! A little butter and a little honey and I can make myself sick!
C