Saturday, January 5, 2013

Prayer, Scripture, and Weight Watchers!

A new year has come with some new resolutions.

I am a sucker for a brand new page....

So this year is no different.  I have asked the Lord to show me some areas that need attention.

He did.

The first area is my prayer life.

Lack luster would paint you a pretty picture there.  I pray.  I actually pray a lot.  There is just no real commitment or consistency in this area.  My husband kicks my tail here.  I have watched God slowly make him into a man of prayer.  I want it too.

So we have started getting up early and having a meaningful prayer time together. Shep is much more of a morning person than I am....so he brings coffee to me and hops into the shower.  By the time he gets out of the shower I am ready to actually sit up in bed and sip on my coffee.

Then we pray. 
Nothing magical but entirely meaningful.

We pray for each other.  Our children.  Our friends.  Our church.  God's direction for our family.  People that need Jesus.  Marriages that need mending.  Our faults and weaknesses.

And all of this sweet communion happens before the sun even comes up. 

I have really enjoyed it so far and I have asked for God to help us sustain this habit and to strengthen my prayer life.

The second area is scripture memory.

My friend, Tess, and I are participating once again in Beth Moore's Siesta Scripture Memory Team this year.

We are excited.

We memorize 2 verses a month for the entire year. 

God's Word floating around in your head is good in a host of ways.  It changes the way you think.  It changes your perspective.  It changes how you feel.  It does just that....it changes.

Tess picked out our first verse of the year and I love its powerful simplicity. 

"He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30

Through God's help I will have 24 verses abiding in me by the end of the year.  That can only be a good thing!

The last area that needs some attention in my life is my eating habits.

(I can't believe I even typed that)

But there it is. 

I love food.  I love to eat.

Pizza. Nachos. Steak fried rice. Fried Chicken.  Biscuits.  Candy. Cokes.  You get the gist...

Obviously eating like this will add a few pounds to your frame.  So...I decided to go back to the place that helped me lose weight and adopt better habits:  Weight watchers.  I am a lifetime member after all.

I went last Thursday and stepped up on a scale.  Thankfully no one else sees your weight except for the woman behind the scale who politely writes the number on your card and then hands it back to you.

Let's just say I have some work to do.

I am NOT about losing a bunch of weight.  I just need to lose a little...mainly I want my clothes to fit.  As it stands...I find myself squeezing into them.  I hate that.

I am asking God to help me focus on good decision making.  I do this in lots of other areas of my life but then I fail miserably when it comes to food.  He needs to be Lord over that area of my life too. 

Once healthy habits are in place....occasional splurges can be enjoyed and savored without regret!

Oh Lord....help me be a "doer" in these areas and not just one who talks about it.  Help me persevere and create new lasting habits so that I might grow and thrive in You.  Become greater in me God and help me to become less.  I love you, Lord.  You are so worth it!

1 comment:

Tess said...

Do you know I love you?!? :)