Sunday, January 20, 2013

Wet Knees, Earnest Pleas

My experience at prayer time tonight was inspiring and encouraging.

After we discussed pressing matters that needed immediate prayer, we were asked if anyone needed to be prayed over...as in to be healed.

The bible does tell us to do that.  (James 5: 13-16)

It was quiet.

I am quite certain that someone in the group needed something healed but no one felt led to mention it.  Or maybe they just kept quiet.

Fear, pride, and who-knows-what keeps us from being real and putting ourselves out there.

It still stayed quiet.

Finally it was decided that we would pray over a couple of members of our pastor search team that were there.  They readily agreed to let us do that.

But then I felt a nudge.

Out of (kinda) nowhere I blurted out that I would like for them to pray about two specific issues in Caroline's life.

First...her teeth.

Bless her sweet heart she has my buck teeth.  It took years of head gears, braces, and permanent retainers to reign my crazy teeth in.  So there is hope for her.  But right now her back molars have not fully emerged through the gums....making it nearly impossible to anchor brackets for braces.  As it stands her teeth could easily be knocked out because they stick out so far.  I am asking God to work in this area.

Secondly...her legs.

Because she doesn't walk or use her legs that much the muscles and tendons are incredibly tight...too tight.  I am asking God to stretch them.  

What happened next was so tender and sweet.

They asked if I would sit in Caroline's place and let them pray over me for these two specific things.

It was a no-brainer. 

The two pastor search team members and myself sat in chairs while prayer warriors surrounded us.

Some were at my feet.  Some were at my side.  Others were behind me.  One precious saint of God laid his hand on my head.

The prayers began and faith filled the room.

Passionate pleas were lifted before God. 

I was so humbled.

I listened as my church family prayed with all diligence and hope for my little girl.  It was powerful and I believe God was pleased.

Prayer moves Him.  Faith pleases Him.  (Hebrews 11:6)

The stubborn faith of these people was sheer exhilaration.  I reveled in it.  I learned from it.  I hoped in it.

When the "Amen" was spoken and the time ended I knew that we had just encountered something words fail to describe.  Hugs were exchanged and smiles graced every face.

I practically floated back to my seat.  As I sat down noticed that the knee of my jeans was wet....and I could felt wet places on the back of my shirt.

Then it hit me....these were the tears that flowed from earnest people bathing my daughter in prayer.  A sweet friend's head rested on my knee as she prayed.  Others stood over me and tears fell freely during their prayers as well.

I don't know if this has ever happened to me.  But there is something incredibly intimate about someone else's tears falling on you....as they pray for you. 

What a night in God's house!!

Matthew 21:13 "Is it not written," he said to them, "My house will be called a house of prayer..."




No comments: