Monday, January 28, 2013

The Stir of a Song

I love it when God teaches me something in His Word and then lets me enjoy a fun field trip as well.

This week in Sunday school and last Thursday's bible study both focused on the power of music.

I am sure it goes without saying that our text was out of the book of Psalms.

The book of Psalms is like a treasure box to a believer in Christ.

At almost any time we can scour the 150 chapters and find something that relates to exactly where we are in our present circumstances....whether that be good or bad, in plenty or loss, in joy or pain.

Not that all of God's Word isn't life to us, but there is something so endearing and comforting about the book of Psalms.

Someone has walked this road before us...and documented every raw emotion imaginable. 

What a gift God has given us through his love letter that is his Word.

In both of the classes I mentioned before we discussed personal testimonies of how songs can break through to a deep part of us.  A place that both fears and hopes.

Songs can speaks words that our lips won't utter....

For example: the song "Need You Now" by the group Plumb is kind of like my anthem at the moment.  The first time I heard it I was in the parking lot of a gas station.  I literally put my car in park and just sat there stunned.

I couldn't believe that someone else had penned words that I thought and felt every single day.

Tears fell and I relished in the moment that God had for me.

Release....sweet release.

I came home and found the song again and added it to my playlist.

As it played I was overcome again.  I let the lyrics speak to God on my behalf.  I bowed my head and cried again as my own silent prayers added their own melody.

This is what I am talking about....ever been there?

It is precious.....and POWERFUL.

Songs do that.  And our God created it.  He even does it Himself.

Ps. 32:7 "You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and sing over me songs of deliverance."

Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves.  He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing." 

Song originated in the heart of God to be both solace and strength for his people.

My field trip (of sorts) happened just after Sunday school during our time of morning worship at church.  We were singing one of my favorite songs.  Our soloist began the verse and I (along with the rest of the choir) settled into the groove of the song.  We knew it would be a hit.  The girl singing it is amazing and the song is anointed of God.  Is there a better combination?!?

But something changed as I belted out the words.

I owned them.

I meant them.

I hoped in Him.

I felt the Light of God shine down and as I poured forth praise to Him....He showered down the some singing of His own.

I believe I experienced these two verses.

Unexplainable joy and peace filled every place that is me.  Doubt and fear that linger just enough to be a bother were completely chased away by the Light that is God Almighty.

I believe our church (at the very least those who were paying attention) experienced God singing over us songs of deliverance and rejoicing.

The goal was to praise Him and in doing that we were lavished as well.

Serenaded by God on High....what a thought!

Lord thank you for stirring us up with songs.  Thank you that others write what we feel.  Thank you for knowing we would need them so much.  I can't help but think of a song that I will finish as my prayer to You. 

"Lord I give my life
A living sacrifice 
To reach a world in need
To be Your hands and feet

So may the words I say
And the things I do
Make my lifesong sing 
Bring a smile to You."

~ Casting Crowns



1 comment:

Deac Zeke said...

Wow...first time visitor to the blog :) Powerful means thru which The Holy Spirit in Christ pours in the oil and wine. God's blessings to you in this endeavor.