Monday, June 10, 2013

A birthday lesson from Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock




 Shep here.

Some of y'all probably don't know who Rob Base is.  He's not internationally known but he's known to rock the microphone.  Sorry, couldn't help that. Back in the day, I pumped a little Rob Base in my '83 Celica GT.  He had this one little tune called Joy and Pain. 

Extremely catchy.  It makes me want to dance when I hear it today.

It also makes me think of my big girl.  Eleven years old tomorrow. 

I was at a bible study when Andrea called me and told me that her water broke. We headed to Kennestone hospital like we were shot out of a gun.  We were about to parents for the first time.-  Joy.

But things went wrong.  Caroline came into this world without enough oxygen.-  Pain.

And its been like that for eleven years.  Sunshine and Rain.



Our big girl is such a blessing.  She can light up a room.  People who meet her are better for it.  But we long for her healing.  We long to hear her speak...to see her walk...

A pastor once told me that joy and sorrow were like the rails on railroad tracks...they run side by side, in the same direction, and at the same time.  I'm pretty sure he didn't like Rob Base...But they expressed the same thing.  These two things go hand in hand, and the older I get the more I see it. 

Caroline shows me every day. 

When she smiles at me- Joy.  She smiles with her whole face.

When I catch Ava staring at her sometimes, wondering why God has not healed her...wishing her sister could play with her- Pain.

I feel like this blog is taking on a sad tone.  I really don't mean for it to.  We love our Caroline.  She is such a blessing...such a joy and delight...and I can tell you this with 100% certainty- She has made me a better man.  I care so much more about other people's hurts than I ever did before.  I get it.  Hurt changes folks.

If a train is going to make it to its destination, it has to have both rails- joy and pain,

So here's to you Caroline, our big 11 yer old...thanks for being such a fantastic little girl.

Thank you for teaching us. 
Thank you for all of your smiles. 
Thank you for letting us love on you. 
Happy birthday, Angel.


No comments: