Saturday, June 8, 2013

Me versus the lawn mower

Week before last my little family was enjoying a summer evening outside.

We had eaten dinner, ventured out to get an ice cream, and now laid on a blanket at the top of our hill in the driveway.

I took in the view around me.

Let's just say that Shep and I believe in the concept of yard maintenance.  We do not excel in showcasing our yard.  Most of our neighbors have gorgeous lawns...lush and green and weed free.

We do not.

Instead of paying to treat our yard and keep the weeds out, we prefer to cut them down with our lawn mower and pocket that money.

Anyway I could tell that the lawn (er...weeds) needed mowing.

My husband was exhausted from a long day.  I thought ahead mentally about our week and there really wasn't another good night to do it.

So...I hinted heavily.

That went over about like a lead balloon.

I threw my chin up in the air and offered to do it myself.  (Please know I do not cut the grass.  Never have except one time on a riding mower)  I mainly offered to my husband so that he would step in as the chivalrous man he is and do it himself.

Um...let's just say he didn't take the bait.

So here I was getting ready to cut our grass.  It also may be helpful to know that we live at the top of a steep, really steep, incline.  We have a self-propelled push mower. 

Inside I wanted to back down and say, "Never mind, Shep, you can do it later."

But something in me wanted to prove it to him and myself that I could totally do this.

He gave me some pointers on what the heck I was doing.  I changed clothes and got my game face on.

It was a spectacle to see.

My neighbors even commented that it looked like my mower was dragging me all over the yard.

But....I DID IT.

Shep did help empty the grass bag when it got full and he helped to re-crank the blasted thing.  But, other than that, I did each and every painstaking sweaty row.

I am pretty sure that Shep was speechless.  I kind of was too.  My kids couldn't even believe it.  (My Ava was so sweet to get me some ice water so I could re-fuel along the way.  Without it I probably would have puked:)

When I finished the job I was spent.  Every part of me ached.  But the yard looked so good.  The smell of freshly cut grass was like a reward in itself.

God has been instructing me to persevere.  Do the hard things.  Do the things that challenge you.  Push through.  Cling to Me.  Hold on tight.  Stay the course.  Do what I place before you despite how it feels. 

In some weird way...I felt Him in this.

There are many things that God has challenged me to believe and live out for His glory on a daily basis.

Some times I think we need a physical reminder of a spiritual concept.

This task was mountainous in my mind.

He knew I needed to see that I could absolutely do it.

Today....I did it again.

Shep had to help empty the grass bag and re-crank it.  But, the job itself, was my joy to do.

Call it an inside little joke between me and the Lord.

Good stuff.

I believe God constantly wants to speak to us.  He can use anything He wishes to instill or encourage or equip us with tools that strengthen our resolve.

He reiterated perseverance to me through mowing the lawn.  Who knows how I will sense Him the next time.

But I love that He jumps off the pages of scripture and interrupts my thoughts in the reality that is my life!

Andrea~2
Lawn Mower~0


 

No comments: