Friday, June 21, 2013

I bought some JOY and it only cost me $5.45

My dad is such a good good man.  He is jolly almost all of the time.  I don't think he has ever met a stranger.  If you have a baby within holding distance, he will reach for him/her.  He loves Jesus passionately and he gives of himself all the time.

One of the pieces of advice he has given me several times in my 35 years is this:  "If you are ever down or discouraged...look for someone else to bless.  It will take your focus off of you."

Shep and I have adopted this practice, or tried to. 

It really does work.

Today God allowed me the awesome opportunity to do it again.

Truthfully I wasn't discouraged or down at all.  Maybe a little overwhelmed and frazzled because that is what preparing for vacation does to a person. 

My van had been burning up the roads.  I think I stopped at a total of 7 or 8 different places picking up this or that.  After eating lunch with a dear friend I stopped off at McDonalds for an iced coffee.  As I exited the fast food chain with iced coffee in hand I saw a mother and four children that I recognized.

They frequently come to the center where I work and volunteer.  I have come to enjoy their visits and getting to know them better.  They are extremely kind and always willing to do what is required, even though it means they have to walk several miles to get to us.

They were walking again today.  They had actually just found some shade under a tree to stop and rest before continuing on.

I felt God nudge me.  Go give them a ride.

I responded.  God I need to get on home.

Again the nudge.  Go to them and offer them a cool air-conditioned ride.

I moaned.  Ok I know I don't have my kids with me but I will have to move all of my bags and re-situate just to fit them all in.

God nudged harder.  Did you really just complain about moving some bags?!?

Needless to say....God won the argument.

I pulled up and offered them a ride. 

As I moved bags and re-situated things in the van I noticed that I really didn't mind at all.  Actually...I felt joy begin to bubble up.

Once all five of them were settled in the van I noticed that I had an iced coffee and they had nothing.

McDonalds was still right there.

I offered them a sweet treat.  They graciously accepted.

Two milkshakes and two ice cream cones later ($5.45) we headed toward their home.

It was honestly the best thing I did all day.

Joy flooded over me.  I was plain giddy to have gotten to help them.

Before you think anything too nice about me you need to know that I am about the most selfish person on the face of the earth.

I don't just think to go out of my way to help people like I should.

Jesus alone gets the credit here. 
Jesus desires to bless others and use us in the process.

The credit is all to Him.  But I get the joy!

No comments: