Saturday, April 25, 2009

Life and Death

The older I get the more I am aware of the sadness in this world around me.

Miscarriages, loved ones dying, betrayals, abuse, addictions, selfishness, and sickness. I have been around or read about many broken hearts this week. I have to be careful not to wear this stuff.

If you allow your mind to stay on the sadness instead of the Savior and the strength He gives...you will be a crying, miserable, pessimistic mess.

I firmly believe that being in this environment only makes me long for home. My eternal home...where I will be united with my Jesus. I can't wait to look into the eyes that formed me in my mother's womb. The One who will wipe away every tear. The Friend that has made a place for me to live with Him forever.
I think our limited and pitiful view of heaven makes us think that it will somehow be less than living here. The truth is that our limited and pitiful little minds can't possibly fathom a place so incredible that there are colors and foods that we have never seen or tasted. I think He has saved the BEST for us. I think we will still experience living our lives...only we will not be tainted by anything bad or scary...no fear at all. Our lives there will be too much fun to tell...adventures, excitement, surprises,endless joy, uncontrolled laughter, praise and worship that would make Travis Cottrell look like a mere amateur....and the best part is still Jesus. I think we (and I) sell Him way short.
I believe He has a blast waiting for us.

We must remember...Fun was God's idea.

So....back to my week. Yesterday Shep and I attended a funeral. A family member's mother had passed away. I hate funerals. I hate death. I wasn't created with "death" in mind. Death only entered the scene when man fell. We were created for "life".

Thankfully, God thought ahead for me and gave me an inkling to bring my little man, Zeke, with me.

What is it about babies??

My dad always says that babies represent new life....they make people smile. They help us focus on what we were created for ....life.

Zeke charmed, cooed, laughed, and babbled his way around many laps and into many arms. I loved it! It was a little bit like aloe on a sunburn. This otherwise gloomy setting was changed by one little new life.

During the funeral I kept Zeke out with me.

As cute as he is...he is NOT aware of manners just yet. He would have thought that interrupting this funeral by loud "MAMAMA"and "DADADA" sounds was really fun.

So...he and I sat in an atrium. He loved it because his voice carried. My little man was a hoot. I just took him in...staring at him for as long as I wanted...letting him be silly....and loud. I just loved being his momma and watching him reach for me.

I thought about God creating us just because He wanted to. As a proud Father he just wanted to take us in....stare at us...let us be silly and loud. Zeke was such a great picture of how God intended us to live. Zeke was completely unaware that death was down the hall.

That was God's original plan too.

I am so grateful that He made sure that death was not the end.
We were created to live.................and live we will!

1 comment:

Craig said...

Incredible post!!