Friday, April 17, 2009

Unforgettable


Almost 11 years ago, Shep and I had our first dance as husband and wife to Nat King Cole's version of "Unforgettable". Of course that is a day I will never forget...all the details are etched in my memory. I can't wait to tell my girls about the day that their mom got to be a princess and marry her prince charming.

Well, last night marked another unforgettable night for me and my man.

For us...some of our lowest times have been some of our best.

Shep tells a story about us during our 2nd year of marriage. We were broke, had no friends, and things were not looking promising in Shep's career. We sat in the bed of his truck for hours and he talked, cried, hashed out his frustrations. All I had to do was listen. He didn't want my opinion or a solution...just a willing ear.

That spoke love to him. He has never forgotten that night...neither have I.

We are almost 11 years into this marriage and we have come a long way. God has blessed us with friends that we can't say enough about...Shep is a partner is a good business...BUT things don't look promising in this economy.

His job deals primarily with home closings so things pretty much stink right now.

We feel like we are WAITING for things to get better...WAITING on Caroline's healing...WAITING ON GOD....WAITING ON ANSWERS...

We are exhausted from WAITING...

Last night I got the chance to just be my man's best friend and partner in this fight. I listened to his fears, his frustrations, and his heart.

Isn't this what marriage is at its best? When things don't look good or feel good...hunker down and press in...love harder and better...listen longer and talk less.

It was my pleasure to have some team-building time with my man. This world is hard. We were blessed to slip away and hide at a restaurant and reboot our minds for a bit. We could just focus on each other and how we are really dealing with things.

It was good.

It was real.

These are the unforgettable moments in my marriage. The hard times that lead to sweet retreat. These are the times where I see just how "in love" with him that I am.

Despite his questions, longings, fears, frustrations, and the many unknowns surrounding him...he won't quit.

He is my strong man. But for a few hours last night...I got to be strong for him.

It was truly unforgettable...

1 comment:

Craig said...

Apart you are two VERY strong people!! But together, you make an even stronger team!! Congrats on 11 years!!