Monday, August 10, 2009

"Because I Said So..."

Now that I am a mother...I say this phrase more than I would like to admit. However, there are times when there isn't a better answer.

I always hated it when my mom or dad said this to me. It seemed so...stupid. So what? What did I care?

Now...I am wearing the momma glasses and I see this in a whole new way. Sometimes I just want my children to TRUST that what I am asking them to do or not do is enough. I have their best interests at heart.

So, because I understand this now and use it frequently on my own children, why is it so hard to contemplate that my heavenly Father may do the same to me?

Doesn't He want me to simply trust Him?

Last week I felt prompted to go to a "healing/miracle" service at a local church. I had been praying and then I heard this service advertised on a local Christian station. I felt like I was supposed to write down the info. and talk to Shep about going.

Shep was all for it. I wasn't.

I didn't want to go....again.
I didn't want to watch nothing happen....again.
I didn't want to experience a heart-sick ride back home....again.
I didn't want to get my hopes up and possibly imagine Caroline walking and talking....again.

But, Shep felt like we were supposed to go. He felt like God wanted us to be obedient.

I must tell you that I did NOT expect her healing. I just couldn't. It is too hard to be expectant in that way and fall flat. It hurts so bad.

Well, Friday night came and we loaded up and went.

It was a sweet service. The people were precious and God's love was so evident through them. The praise and worship was wonderful and the preaching was powerful.

Then the time came....."if you have a need of a healing or a miracle come down to be prayed over."

It was go time.

Shep picked up Caroline and down the aisle we went.
(You would think it would get easier and more comfortable b/c we have done this many times, but it doesn't.)

The pastor prayed fervently over us and many others.

There was no change. We just sat there.

Why did we come?

We witnessed some things that are very foreign to our denomination. I will not judge. I will not draw my own conclusions. But, I don't understand....and I really want to.

As I ponder this today, I still don't know why we were supposed to go. The only thing I can come up with is "because He said so."

When we walk with the Lord
in the light of His word,
what a glory He shed on our way!
While we do His good will
He abides with us still,
and with all who will trust and obey.

Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

3 comments:

Craig said...

Then in fellowship sweet
we will sit at his feet,
or we'll walk by his side in the way;
what he says we will do,
where he sends we will go;
never fear, only trust and obey.

Anonymous said...

Wow! How wonderful is our God. Miles away he asked me to pray for your entire family, on the same Friday night he asked you to trust and obey.
What was on my mind the end of last week…How my children sometimes don’t listen? The Lord spoke, “like the many times you didn’t.”
“Soon” Not my time line, not yours; Gods, when it is time for him to heal Caroline it will be perfect.
PS. The most beautiful aspect of you blog today, I didn’t hear self-pity or bitterness. Praise God.
It sounds like the Lord has you doing some whenting too.
Keep listening, trusting and obeying.
Your sister in Christ
Elaina

Anonymous said...

My darling Andea,

Your exerience trusting and obeying regardless reminds me of my own...while driving to Kennesaw College. He put that song in my mouth and has kept it there. Next to Holy Holy Holy, it is one of the most meaningful and beautiful songs about sanctification. I see Him doing a new thing in you. Cling to Him even tighter.

God is moving... Momma