Monday, August 24, 2009

Little is much

We are studying the book of Acts in Sunday school. As you look at the amazing things that happened in this book you wonder why the new testament church looks so different today.

Shep believes that prayer is the key.

Think about it. This isn't a throw-off on any church... especially mine. But how much time do we spend on our knees in prayer as a corporate body of believers? In the book of Acts these people prayed together daily.

Obviously we live in a time where it is difficult to gather together that frequently and spend time in prayer. But, Shep decided to challenge our class and see if people would come and pray on a Sunday evening.

He decided to start it last night. There were 11 people total. Two of us stayed outside and let the kids play while the other 9 prayed.

I came in and quietly peeked in to catch a glimpse of these praying warriors doing what we fail most to do. They were praying. Quietly....earnestly....and powerfully. It sent joy all through me to think that those 9 people were intervening on behalf of our church body. They were praying for revival. They were praying for Holy Spirit anointing to fall on our staff and our people. They were pleading for God to show up and show off. They were confessing our need and our sin before the One who isn't shaken by it. It was awesome!

As I walked back to the playground the enemy immediately haunted me with thoughts like, "what good will 9 people praying do for this church?" and "isn't it pitiful that only 9 people showed up to pray?"

For a brief moment I almost agreed with the liar. But then the Voice that spoke creation into existence spoke softly to me through a song...

Little is much when God is in it
Labor not for wealth or fame.
There's a crown and you can win it
If you go in Jesus' name.

Does the place your called to labor
Seem so small and little known?
It is great if God is in it
And He'll not forget His own.

I just finished my own prayer time and Bible study a few moments ago. It wasn't earth shattering to my natural eyes....I didn't experience fire from heaven or suddenly begin speaking in tongues. But I believe my natural eyes can't handle what was happening around me....the glory of God was here....hovering over me as I prayed. It does seem like prayer is such a "little"thing. Sometimes we even wonder, "what is the point?"

But there is "much" at stake. I don't know why we receive power when we pray, but we do. I believe God would have us lay many things aside.....Bible study, fellowships, even witnessing....in order to pray more.

If you are like me, you don't really know how to pray. Well, I would say the Holy Spirit is the best teacher I could ask for. I asked Him again today to teach me to pray. Why are we so embarrassed to do that??

Acts 1:14 "They all joined together constantly in prayer...."

Acts 1: 8 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit come on you,.."



3 comments:

Steph said...

I'm sorry that I missed last night. Hopefully I will be able to make it in a couple of weeks.

Also thank you so much for your support!!!

Love you,
Steph

marjorieellen said...

YES, YES, YES.......
HOLY SPIRIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE KNOWS EVERYTHING, AND WILL TEACH US HOW TO PRAY!!!
REVIVAL IS ON!!!!!!!!
LOVE, marje

Robert said...

Appreciated your comments about the place of prayer in the life of the church. There are certainly some things that were historically and culturally unique about the New Testament church. But their emphasis on prayer is definitely not one that we can shrug off as not being relevant today.

Yet our prayer meetings seem to be the poorest attended meetings of the week. I have a pastor friend who renamed Prayer Meeting "The Company of the Committed." (Ouch! There is more than a gentle rebuke to the rest in that!)

On the other hand, I agree that numbers are never the bottom line with God. We have too many incidents in the Scriptures that prove otherwise. "Little is much when God is in it" indeed. Are you familiar with Jonathan's bold testimony of faith in I Sam. 14:6--when he and his armour bearer were about to attack a whole garrison of Philistines? Wow!

Quick historical note: Today is the 125th anniversary of the birth of Kitty Suffield, the author of "Little Is Much." She also wrote "God Is Still on the Throne"--another important reminder for us. God bless you and your husband, and your church.