Friday, August 21, 2009

Savor it....

I love to sing. Always have. It started with Annie. My brothers hated my Annie record because I would sing every single word of every single song. There are stories of my family going to a campground and I could be heard from all over singing....

My mom tells me that I knew every word of the hymn, "Brethren we have met to worship" at two years old. I also have wonderful memories of singing in the car with my mom. She would make up songs. She would sing one to me all the time called "Pretty Little Girl".

For some reason, I got "too cool" to sing in high school. Looking back I don't even remember wanting to sing at school. I am sure I was very intimidated because I couldn't (and still can't) read a lick of music. (all of our chorus kids were awesome sight readers)

God had other plans. He allowed some music people to help me at church. They worked with me and helped to build my confidence. By my senior year and throughout college I would sing solos on a regular basis.

I am amazed now at God's handiwork in this process. I would have never pursued singing had God not placed the perfect people in my life at the perfect time.

Anyway...my voice is not anything special. I can carry a tune but it doesn't compare with some of my favorite singers. If I could have my way...I would want to belt it out like Celine Dion, Mandisa, Natalie Grant, or Christina Aguilara. However, that is not what God chose for me. I have a nice tone and a fair range. God did give me an eternal fan. My husband likes my voice and loves to hear me sing.

So....getting to the point of this entire blog...

He told me the other day that he wished that I would sing more around the house. He recalled wonderful memories of his mother singing hymns all the time and how it would bring a smile to his face even now.
He wants our children to have the same experience.

So...lately I have been very deliberate about singing around the house.

The "savor" moment came today. I went into Zeke's room to calm him down because he was mad to be going down for a much-needed nap. I picked him up and sat in rocker and began softly singing hymn after hymn...chorus after chorus.

His eyes were fixated. There I was just 2 inches away from my little mans sweaty tear-stained face and I knew Shep was right. There was something very special, almost sacred, about this moment. I didn't want it to end. As long as I would sing about Jesus, he wouldn't move a muscle.
After I successfully got him settled, I found Ava right outside his door. She said, "Momma, I like to hear you sing. That's why I was outside of baby Zeke's door."

Shep said it....I did it....Ava and Zeke confirmed it. Singing about Jesus can't ever be wrong. I pray that I will turn off the t.v. more, put down my cleaning supplies and clothes that need folding and savor the mundane moments of my day. I want my home to be a place of joy, laughter, blessing, and song.

I am the "heart of the home," right??

Lord set my heart right. Help me sing praise to you when I am enjoying the moment and when I am spent from heartache. You are worthy all the time. Give me the songs to sing. Set the tone in our home so that my children will fondly remember learning of Jesus through songs sung by their momma.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved to hear you sing ..my pretty little girl.

I love you,

Momma

marjorieellen said...

Aw....what a special blog!!! Loved it.
love you and your family!!
in Jesus' love,
marje

Liz McCrary said...

Keep singing girl!!! You got the talent!!