Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Caroline

7 years ago today our lives were forever changed.

We became parents.
We fell in love with Caroline Patricia Helton.

I will never forget the first time I laid eyes on her.

She was a vision. Perfect in every way. I had no idea of what lay ahead for us. All I saw was the prettiest little girl with delicate features and a head full of gorgeous black hair. The first time I actually saw or held her was 2 days after she was born.

I had been in the ICU and was medically sedated. When I improved to the point that I could be put in a room, I was moved. My first order of business was to hold my baby girl.

She had tubes everywhere. She even had an I V needle in her little head. But....the world around me vanished when I held her. I stared for what seemed like forever....I smelled her. I kissed her. I introduced myself....

Now, here we are 7 years down the road. I know her by heart. I know every whimper and what it means. I know how she smells every morning when I lift her out of bed. I know when she is happy, sad, jealous, or mad. I have snapshots in my head of every day we have lived with her. I think I could do her routine in my sleep. I know the strength in her legs and the weaknesses in her neck, arms and shoulders. I know what it feels like for my shirt sleeves to stay wet because of her drool......and only a mother wouldn't be grossed out by it. I love how she cuts her eyes to those that she loves. I love her big toothy smile that takes over her face. I love the belly laughs when she can't catch her breath. I love her sense of humor....her stubborn will....

I wouldn't have had it any other way! I would never have chosen it....but my sovereign Lord knew that she was mine to have. He knew she would bend me in ways I would have never bent on my own. He knew she would melt me to have compassion for others that I would have never allowed myself to have. He knew........everything she would do for us. He knew how good she would be for us.

My daddy gave me a verse shortly after she was born. James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like the shifting shadows."

She was and still is a good and perfect gift. Exactly what I needed...

I believe, hope, and pray that today is the eve of her healing day. Not only do I want it for me, Shep, and countless others. But, I want it for Caroline. I want to hear what all she has to say. I want to meet this little girl that I have had the privilege to care for and love. I want to know her and what is in that precious little head.

I want her to tell us about her many encounters with Jesus. I want her to run, dance, and sing without the limitations of her weak body.

I pray that His power invades this place tonight and does what only He can do. I pray He raises her just like He did when He called Lazarus out of the tomb. I pray that she enjoys every moment of the transformation. I pray that the resurrection power of Jesus takes control of her weak and fragile frame and breathes the power of life and strength into her that was made available on the cross. I want her to see and be held by the One who took every stripe upon His back so that she could take part in His healing. I want her to remember Him....His smell, His eyes, His strong arms, His smile, and His voice telling her...."It is time, Caroline....you are free....free to run....free to dance...."

May my God receive all glory. My His name be forever praised and exalted. May lives be changed, addictions and strongholds be broken, and relationships restored. Nothing is impossible. My mustard seed faith believes that MANY can be freed by the healing of one. I pray that a revival like we have never known is upon us.......Father, find us faithful and ready!!

8 comments:

Lauren said...

Happy Birthday, Caroline!!

Praying with y'all, Andrea! Waiting on that amazing birthday present/miracle!

Mande said...

Only her mother could say it so beautifully! Wow, how she has changed our lives the short time she has been in it! I love her dearly!

Jacquelyn Ray said...

Happy birthday sweet Caroline!I remember 7 years ago as if it were yesterday! I also remember 6 years ago as we were preparing a scrapbook for your mommy on your first birthday!from heavy tears to huge smiles and laughs, what an amazing life you have lived and what an amazing story you will have to tell! I love you and look forward to watching you grow in your calling! Sweetest dreams baby girl, kiss Jesus as He wakes you...

Anne said...

Happy Birthday, Caroline!
Wait for a miraculous healing tomorrow. What a great day that will be.

Liz McCrary said...

Andrea,
I am sitting here reading your sweet words for you little girl with huge tears rolling down my face! What amazing words you share!! I am so, so grateful to know you!! We will be down on our knees all night praying scripture for Caroline! Thanks for sharing her with us!!
Liz McCrary

Anonymous said...

Happy Brithday & Happy Healing Caroline! Dance precious one, dance.

Andrea, absloutely exquisite.
I remember you speaking of your mother and the shoes you have to fill. I think you just out grew them my Beloved sister. The only shadow you will ever rest in again will be the shadow of the Almighty.
Hallelujah! Amen! Praise God!
Love your sister in Christ
Elaina

Leigh Anne said...

Andrea-

I sit here reading with chills all over me and eyes filled with tears! It has been a huge blessing to know the Helton family. I am anxiously awaiting what tomorrow will bring. I told Hal that he has to come to VBS with me tomorrow on his day off so he can witness it with me. He's just as excited as I am! Sweet dreams Caroline!
Love,
Leigh Anne

Amy said...

I remember this day seven years ago very vividly, too. I remember feeling stricken, and begging God to spare you and Caroline. I believe He performed a miracle THAT day as well! He not only spared you, but He has spent seven years transforming you into the person you are today ... a person who wouldn't be the same without the miracle of Caroline. Know that I am praying for and anticipating God's bringing this FULL CIRCLE!!