Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Different Spin on This

This morning I was reading in my devotion book, My Utmost for His highest. The title of the devotion was "He must increase, but I must decrease...".

Of course I knew where this was going. I have read this verse countless times in my Christian life. I always kind of took it to mean that my sin nature ruins who God wants to be in my life...so my flesh must be dying daily so that Christ can more fully reign in me. Isn't that the idea...I become less so He can become more.

Well, this morning Oswald Chambers put a different spin on things. My hubby, Shep doesn't really care for Oswald. He thinks he is direct and a bit shall we say----grace and mercy LESS. He prefers C.S. Lewis and others who pen devotionals in a more POSITIVE way...if you know my man...this makes total sense.

Anyway, Oswald proposed that if we become necessary in some one's life (obviously excluding caring for our children) then we are increasing and therefore in sin.

He went on to say that when those we love face terrible difficulties that we should pray more for those difficulties to increase!! (What?!?) He says that these current difficulties that Christ allows for people are for the sole purpose of making them a better follower of Christ. If we then pray for that difficulty to stop or become less...then we are actually thwarting the will of God.

You can see that this would possibly be troubling. I have many, many wonderful people in my life. My family and friends are like no other.

It seems so unfair to pray for things to get harder when I see them in pain.

So...I am gonna ponder on this and talk to God about it some more.

I will say that during these past 7 years of my life, my friends and family who have walked it with me have been powerless to change the pain that I have encountered or the events that God has allowed to take place.
However, most of them tell me often that they wish they could take the pain away.( and oh how I love them for that...so sweet...just wanted to take my heartache)

I will also say though, that most of those friends who were there in the beginning KNOW a very different Andrea ( and Shep) today. This PAIN and these DIFFICULTIES do work to bend the knee. I am desperate now for Jesus in my life like never before.

Anyway, I guess I struggle with the "woman" factor in all of this. As a woman, I am a nurturer. I want to dry tears and bring smiles. How do I look at people hurting terribly and pray in my heart...."Bring it on God. Keep hurting them until your will is accomplished."

That just seems harsh to me. So- I guess I must pray God's will and His way over them. That should cover it, right??

I can still cry out to God on their behalf...but ultimately I MUST decrease my wants and desires for others. This is where I will have to increase more of Him....because only through Him can I endure watching those I love hurt.

Praise you Lord always...in joy, pain, sorrow, fear, and whatever may come....praise your holy NAME!

No comments: