Monday, July 13, 2009

Princess Mommy

Don't we all just LOVE Mondays??

This Monday has been a rough one. Not really sure why...although whiny children, overcast skies, and back-to-the-grind routine doesn't really help.

By 9 a.m. it felt like it should have been 3 in the afternoon.

I keep saying to myself, "these days are going to fly by...don't wish them away".

I know that is true.

I just have a difficult time finding contentment in the grind of life. I am always looking forward to the next "fun" thing.

Like next weekend...
or
a date night
or
a motorcycle ride
or
a Deeper Still event
or
a trip to the beach.

So, in an attempt to change our scenery...the girls and I went downstairs while Zeke slept. I did a little sewing, singing, and answering about a million questions. (thanks to Ava)

After telling Ava again why she couldn't walk around carrying the pins I use while sewing; I spotted something that Ava had been asking me about for weeks. It was a David's Bridal bag on a hanger.

You guessed it.....my wedding gown.

She always looks at the pictures and talks about how mommy looks like a princess in her dress.

So, I decided to give it a whirl and try on the beautiful (and a little out-dated) gown.

Ava was ecstatic and Caroline was all smiles.

I slowly and ever so gently worked my way into the dress. I felt pretty dang good considering it was going on just fine. The seams weren't bulging...buttons weren't popping...even the zipper was gliding just fine.

See, I spoke too soon. It just stopped. The zipper wouldn't budge anymore. I wasn't about to rip this gorgeous gown just because I was determined to make it fit. So, I faked it and spun around to show it off to my girls.

They were terribly impressed. They had no clue the zipper was sliding downward the whole time...they just thought mommy looked like a princess.

Funny. I am the child of a King. My daddy reigns from on high. But as I go about my days the enemy tells this princess she is nothing but a pauper.

Don't you wish you could catch a glimpse of yourself the way He sees you?

As hard as I try...I can't really see that girl.

Probably because I know myself too well.

I will say this. The dress may not have fit me now...but the girl wearing the dress is NOT the same girl.

This girl has come a long way. A little more grounded. A little more real. Stronger. Determined. Seeking.

As the refining process continues in my life...I will always be changing. Each day, in spite of how I may feel, I will come a little closer to resembling the King who calls me His daughter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi... can you belive that I am responding!!! Sunday morning on the way to church, Joseph looked at me and said "Oh mommy! You look just like a princess"!! I could have kissed his little face off. When told us that we looked like princesses, what did we have in common? (besides looking like movie stars? We were both wearing white dresses.
However in reality I walk around wearing rags of shame, doubt, fear, jealousy, anger, unbelief. These rag have become so comfortable that I don't even realize that I am wearing them.
But my KING calls me and bids me to take off my old garments and put on the one he purchased so lovinly for me!!! But why do I continue to refuse this gift he offers!! Maybe because:
I don't believe he loves me like he says he does. I believe I would stain the garment before I left the house.I don't believe I am a princess!! Whatever I may feel, I know the truth...I am the daughter of the King of Kings