Monday, July 27, 2009

Skeptic, Cynic, or Rebel

A friend loaned me a book to read. It is "Faith & Doubt" by John Ortberg.

I am sure you can tell by simply reading the title that it is a book that has held my attention.

This book has spoken to me right where I am....

I doubt.

However, Jesus will allow me to deal with doubt to be driven closer to Him.

-uncertainty adds humility to faith
-uncertainty causes us to learn
-uncertainty pushes us to seek truth
-uncertainty produces growth
(all of these are issues that Mr. Ortberg discusses in his book)

I was particularly interested in his definitions of a skeptic, cynic, and a rebel.
I think you will find that when it comes to faith...most of us fit into one of these categories.

Skeptic-I don't want to be wrong
I don't want to be hurt
I don't want to look like I'm one of the gullible ones.
Underneath the surface of the skeptic is fear-fear of being disappointed.
The skeptic says, "I would rather stand on the sidelines and look like an intelligent observer than risk trusting. I will forgo all that might come with that trust."

Cynic-Not so much looking for answers as offering conclusions
Offer conclusions that paint the world in a negative light
When facing a difficult decision, a moral responsibility, or an unpopular choice, cynics choose to wash their hands and conclude, "Whatever."
B/c of previous pain or disappointment, cynics make their conclusions about life before
the questions have even been asked.

Rebel-Someone who doesn't want to believe
Do not want the story of Jesus to be true
This desire goes so deep that it colors the way they look at every argument and every bit of evidence and makes sure they find a way not to believe.
Rebels are afraid of what would happen if they surrender themselves to God

At my best, I am a skeptic....at my worst, I am a rebellious cynical skeptic. Doubt that is left undone...undealt with...will turn you into one of these. I pray that my doubts force me to seek Truth. To seek Truth is to seek Him. To seek Him is to find Him. To find Him is to love Him. To love Him is to trust Him.

Which one are you??

(All of the info. in this entry is from the book...none of these thought are my own, except the prayer at the end). I am sure I have broken all the copyright laws so...I wanted to give credit to Mr. Ortberg.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"whatever" got me...so it would be very safe to say I am a cynic. My other favorite idiom is "never mind" I guess I will have to read that chapter.
Elaina